Thursday, February 2, 2017

Gender Roles














            This week, one of the things we spoke about in class was gender, and gender roles. I loved what one of the girls in class said about us trying to be like Christ, and that as we do that, our natural tendencies will come out in the most positive manner. I do believe from what I read, learn, and have experienced, that men and women are different. We have different roles in society and in our homes. I feel that there needs to be a balance, I think for my children I want to teach them to be very capable. I want my girls to be able to change a tire, and my boys to be able to clean the house. That said I do not plan to raise my children as if there is no difference in gender. There is. I don’t know that I will intentionally raise my children different because of gender; I feel it is more the needs of the individual child, not the gender that will make the most difference. I think naturally children of different gender will be raised different simply because of their needs.
            I think it is important to note that most people do not fit perfectly into a stereotype. Some girls are more aggressive and some boys are more sensitive. I do not feel these things need to be squashed out of the children because it does not perfectly fit the stereotype. One thing that I think is very prevalent now is that being a mother and the roles associated with that, are looked down on as degrading to women. I do not agree! God has asked us to call Him Father, that shows the importance and sacredness He puts on parenthood! I think there is not greater calling than to be a mother. There is nothing wrong with being kind and nurturing, in fact I believe we could use a little more of it in our world.

            I firmly believe that God made men and women different to compliment each other. If we were the same we wouldn’t learn, and we wouldn’t need each other. Gods divine plan made it to where we are greatest when we are united with each other and with God. 
           There are a lot of people who want us to believe men and women are totally the same, and that the only difference comes from society, but the evidence does not support that.We watched an interesting video about this, here is the link: Men, Women, and the Sex Difference 
There was also an article we read called Infants Prefer Toys By Gender. I find it very interesting that the only "studies" or "discoveries" we hear about are the ones that are popular and very "socially acceptable". It is interesting that if you speak out against what people want to hear, you are often ignored or silenced. Ignorance is not bliss, it can have strong and lasting consequences. Unfortunately many people choose this kind of "informed" ignorance over truth. I think the most important thing to understand and remember that different isn't bad, in fact different is good. When we are different we learn and compliment each other.

I do not own images.



2 comments: